This Year Queen Elizabeth II will make history by becoming the first British Monarch to spend 70 years on the throne! Otherwise known as reaching her platinum Jubilee. Whilst the actual date of the Jubilee was Sunday 6th February, the official celebration for the big event will be taking place in early June with a special Bank Holiday weekend; this will run from Thursday 2nd June to Sunday 5th June 2022. With such an exciting Royal event around the corner, join us by looking back on Merci Maman’s Royal stamp of approval, as well as sharing some fun tips on how to celebrate the Jubilee with friends and family, as well as neighbours.
Our Royal Stamp of Approval
The Kate Effect
In 2014 media attention suddenly surrounded our brand after Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge was spotted wearing one of our pieces. Gifted to her by sister Pippa, Kate wore what is now known as The Duchess Necklace, appropriately named in her honour. And almost 8 years later, this necklace unsurprisingly remains one of our best-selling pieces. Consequently, we redesigned this necklace in 18k solid recyclable gold, named the Fine Duchess Necklace. If you’re looking for a timeless classic to last a lifetime, we recommend this collection.
Two Time Queen’s Award Winners!
Alongside being spotted on a member of the Royal Family, Merci Maman truly has received a royal stamp of approval; not once, but twice! Back in 2017, Merci Maman received the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the International Trade for the first time. A moment that is certainly one of our biggest highlights as a brand. Our founders Béatrice and Arnaud were presented with the award at Buckingham Palace and even got to meet Queen Elizabeth!
For those of you who don’t know, the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise is awarded to British-based businesses and organisations that offer exceptional services in international trade, innovation, promoting opportunity through social mobility and sustainable development. Due to the standard of exceptional services that the award requires, it is the highest official UK award for British businesses.
In 2020 Merci Maman as a company once again was able to achieve massive growth and success, including being awarded The Queen’s Award for a second time! We are absolutely thrilled to have achieved this prestigious milestone twice and as a brand, we continue to strive and reach newer heights.
How You Can Celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee!
There are a plethora of ways you can get involved in the platinum jubilee celebrations that are set to take place this year including:
- Street Parties with members of your community
- The Big Jubilee Lunch hosted by the Eden Project
- and The Queen’s Green Canopy which invites people from across the United Kingdom to Plant a Tree for the Jubilee.
Royal Inspired Crafts Perfect for the Platinum Jubilee
In the lead up to the big day why not try these crafts with your friends or family!
Jubilee Cake that Could be Fit for A Queen!
This handmade treat could be a great addition to any Jubilee themed party or picnic!
What you’ll need:
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- 250g raspberries
- 227g clotted cream
Optional for the decoration:
- 100ml icing sugar
- Red and Blue Food Colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Butter two 20cm round tins and line their bases with baking parchment.
- Tip the golden caster sugar into a mixing bowl and add the softened butter. Beat for a minute or so until pale and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the cake mixture. Fold in as lightly as you can, then fold in the almonds. Stop folding as soon as the flour traces have gone.
- Whisk the egg whites until they just hold their shape. Gently fold a third of the egg white into the cake mix, using the whisk. Repeat with another third, then the final third. Take in not over-mixing.
- Lightly fold in half the raspberries. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out, peel off the lining paper, and leave to cool completely.
- Set one cake on a serving plate or cake stand. Spoon the clotted cream onto the cake and scatter the raspberries over, then sandwich the other cake on top.
- Blend the icing sugar with cold water until it is smooth and then divide into two batches. One to colour red and one to colour blue. Drizzle the icing over the cake.
- Eat and enjoy!
Platinum Jubilee Simple No Sew Bunting
As it’s a bank holiday weekend, the children will have a little extra time off from school. So why not keep them entertained by making some Jubilee themed bunting!
What you’ll need:
- Blue, red, and white fabric
- Fabric Scissors for a straight edge or pinking shears for a zig-zag edge
- Double-Sided Fabric Tape
- First, cut same-size fabric triangles with fabric scissors or pinking shears.
- Decorate the triangles to your liking with jubilee themes quotes or imagery!
- Once happy with your triangles attach them to the ribbon by carefully using double-sided tape.
- Now simply hang your bunting and enjoy the Jubilee weekend!
How We Celebrated the Jubilee
Here at Merci Maman, we hosted a big Jubilee party in our office last week to get in the spirit! With a red, white and blue dress code, the MM team had a royal-inspired afternoon filled with British themed snacks, lots of pimms and plenty of fun games! Particular team favourites was the queen’s quiz and a ‘pin the diamond on the queen’ game. We would love to know how you are celebrating the jubilee this coming week! Feel free to share your celebrations with us over on our social media.v